Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Models and Placement Options for Dedicated Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post

5. Triad specifies their LCR speaker systems based on sealed room size not the driver type. In your case, Bronze is the perfect series but only if you are able to close the opening to the other larger room.
    How would only having a curtain covering the room opening instead of a closed door system affect the sound between the Bronze and Silver LCRs? Can the difference be described?

I know that a sub "sees" all of the open space (regardless of curtain), but I thought listening distance to the LCRs would be a bigger factor in sound versus open space?

Of course, a door is always preferred, but if that's not in the cards then the next best thing would be a heavy curtain. The door would be more reflective and the curtain would absorb the sound.

Listening distance to the LCRs is a factor but don't discount the open area effect on the LCRs as well. It's real.

There are other options for solid doors if you can't go with the standard hinged variety. Sliding "barn" doors can work well.
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, Emotiva, Sony,
    JVC, Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, Panamorph, and Oppo.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186

Are you saying:
    When using a curtain that more sound volume is required (which would favour the Silver LCRs), but otherwise the Silver and Bronze LCRs would still sound exactly the same as each other at moderate volume?

So, by using the Bronze series at moderate volume I would not miss out on anything sonically from the Silver series because they are voiced the same (i.e., replacing the Bronze with the Silvers would not make the sound "fuller" or change the sound in any way).

With or without the curtains, doors etc, the Bronze and Silver LCRs use different drivers, so they don't sound the same. Triad instructs dealers to select LCR systems based on room size. But if you are looking for a speaker with a better bottom end, then Silver would be superior to the Bronze series.

It's not really a question of do you need Silver, but rather, do you want Silver. Of course, your budget will be the deciding factor.

561-745-6186

I see.

Well, I checked out the Triad website and there does not appear to be any Onwall Silver LCRs.
    I guess that makes my decision process easier.

Is a sub crossover setting of 80 Hz fine to use with the Bronze LCRs and the Bronze/4 surrounds?

Do you happen to know what brands are used for the tweeter and woofer in the latest edition of these speakers? Just curious.

Oh, what do you recommend for placement of Atmos heights?
    Do I align the Atmos speakers with the front LCRs or based on the listening position (middle two seats are the main concern)?

For example, in one scenario the front LCRs are 16.5 in from the side walls, placing the center of the speakers at 21.5 away from the walls.
    If aligning the Atmos speakers with the fronts then the center of the Atmos speakers would be about 3 from the center of the outer seats and toward the middle of the room (left to right) (e.g., the right Atmos would be 3 to the left of the middle of the outer right seat).
    From the center of the middle seats, the Atmos would be roughly 28 away (again, left to right, not directly diagonal or vertical).
    OR
    The Atmos could be placed closer toward the middle seats by some distance (but how much?).

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Actually, for an additional fee, Triad can custom build an on-wall version of the Silver LCR. It would be quite large and quite a bit more expensive.

An 80 Hz crossover setting would be fine. If you want to play the Bronze LCRs really loud, I would then recommend 100 Hz.

This Atmos Guide should help with placement.

561-745-6186

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
    An 80 Hz crossover setting would be fine. If you want to play the Bronze LCRs really loud, I would then recommend 100 Hz..
    I was not only thinking in terms of loudness, but also how smooth the frequency response would be as the sub transitions over to the other speakers.
    It is often recommended to get speakers rated to reach down to at least 20 Hz below the crossover frequency, but the Triads are listed to have a range down to 80 Hz.
    Will the crossover frequency range (say 60 to 100 Hz) still be smooth, without much of a dip even though the Triads are listed as 80 Hz (F3?)?

This Atmos Guide should help with placement.
    Yes, I see that the Atmos speakers are aligned with the fronts. Looks like the way to go.

I asked just in case that Triad may spec a different alignment or that my room may dictate a slight alteration.

They should be smooth down to those frequency ranges. Also, keep in mind that Triad recommends their LCRs be used with subs, so I wouldn't worry about this.

561-745-6186

I was looking at my room today and noticed that the recessed lighting (pot lights) is near to where the rear Atmos heights will be located.

Are the Bronze series speakers magnetically shielded?

How close can I place the inwall Bronze/4 surrounds to the pot lights in terms of heat and magnetic interference?
    Can I get as close as one or two inches?

Issue number two.

After using a stud finder, it seems that I can not place the surrounds (regular bed layer surrounds, NOT the Atmos heights) in the wall in a symmetrical manner unless very close to back wall.

My four options for the surrounds placement would be:

1) Unsymmetrical Inwall - Left rear = 12 from back wall, Right rear = 22 from back wall

2) Unsymmetrical Inwall - Left rear = 12 from back wall, Right rear = 6.5 from back wall

3) Symmetrical Inwall - Left rear = 6.5 from back wall, Right rear = 6.5 from back wall
    Note: this would place the rear surrounds at roughly 35 degrees behind the main listening position (as measured from the MIDDLE of the bipole surrounds). The recommended Dolby angle is 0 to 20 degrees behind the listener.

4) Symmetrical Onwall use Onwall surrounds instead and place furthest possible distance away from back wall while maintaining symmetry:
    Left rear = 15 from back wall, Right rear = 15 from back wall
    This would place the rear surrounds at roughly 29 degrees behind the main listening position. Although, the nearest tweeter of the Onwall surround would be closer to 24 degrees.

What is the best option?

I probably need some clearance from the back wall, so maybe option #4?