Thread: Center Channel Placement

Center Channel Placement

I have a set of in-wall silver 4 LCRs and would appreciate anyone's opinion on where is the best place to install them if using a wall-mounted flat screen TV.

I've seen many installations where the center channel is placed above or below the panel. Unfortunately, because the tweeter on the LCRs are not adjustable, none of these seem ideal.

Hi Adlot and Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the late response but I'm at CEDIA this week.

Couple of quick questions:

What is the size of your TV?

How high is the bottom of the TV off the floor and how high is your ceiling?
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, Sony, JVC,
    Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, Panamorph, and Oppo.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186

Hi Dawn,

My TV is a 59" Samsung. I haven't wall mounted it yet though so I can't tell you the distance from the floor.

The ceiling in my theater room is 94" but, as the TV is to be mounted under a 12" bulkhead, the effective height is 82".

Eventually I plan to install a 100" motorized, flush mount projector screen within the bulkhead. From my research, a 100" screen will hang down from the bottom of the bulkhead approximately 62". This means that the TV will need to be mounted high enough on the wall that the screen completely covers it when in position. The center channel will need to be installed below the bottom of the screen (ie 62" below the ceiling or 20" from the floor... not ideal for me center channel)

I hope I've painted a clear picture.

Yes, I think I have a good idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

If you are using an acoustically transparent (weave or perf) screen, you should put the Triad center channel a few inches above the TV. The problem here is that depending on the screen, you could get reflections from the shiny flat panel behind the screen when using the projector.

Another option is to place the center channel above the TV and behind the top of the projection screen in the top mask area if you re using a standard screen. Some screen companies such as Stewart can make the mask area perforated, thus saving you from spending quite a bit of money on an all perf screen.

561-745-6186

Hi Dawn,

Interesting solution. Do you think if I mount the speaker above the TV I will need to angle it down towards the primary listening positions?

If so, what are your thoughts on the best way to do this? I've been considering shimming behind the tweeter to get the angle I need.

How far is the listening position from the TV wall?

561-745-6186

Listening positions are about 13 ft from the screen wall.

I did some mapping and fitting and I think a center channel above the TV is a great suggestion. I will still try and angle it slightly down during installation but, assuming I can find a drop down screen with AT masking, I should be perfect.

Perhaps someone else can jump in here regarding other companies (besides Stewart) that offer this capability. I know I originally said that it goes in the masking, but that's not entirely correct. The perf material actually goes into the black-drop area above the screen. With Stewart you can specify how much black-drop to use. Here's a picture:

Stewart Blackdrop.jpg

Now, it just occurred to me that SI has a new motorized screen called the Zero-G that would work as well. It's held up by very thin metal wires and there's literally no back-drop. Very cool looking and you can order the screen with a drop of up to six feet. See it here.

561-745-6186