Thread: One wall sub

One wall sub

I'm working on a dedicated theater room, just finished the soundproofing stage of clips, channel, double dry wall, green glue. Now on to finalizing the screen wall layout. The room is 12'wide, 16' deep, and just under 9' ceiling after the soundproofing treatment. I originally was planning a traditional box or cube ported subs (2) but am having issues on how to fit in a 24" cube box on the screen wall and not see it. My goal is to not see any speakers, surrounds will be behind fabric, screen will be AT. My plan is to use triad bronze LCRs on wall behind the screen and have the screen as close to possible to the front wall in order preserve space in the small theater. My question is how do the Triad offerings of on wall subwoofers compare to other traditional box subs? I would have room to install 1 or 2 on wall silver subs on the front wall and be able to have a very clean looking front screen wall. Thanks for any info

IMO it should work great, Triad designs their differently configured options to perform the same regardless of application. With the shallow depth necessitated by the "on wall" sub, it is a much longer enclosure (33") which gets the overall cabinet volume pretty close to that of the more traditional shape of the standard InRoom Silver Sub.

In terms of performance they should be comparable to any nice sealed 12" sub (like SVS SB2000), you've got a robust, low distortion 12" driver driven by a high power digital amp. I have a pair of the "Silver" OmniSub 12s up front and they perform very well in a room slightly larger than yours. That's one benefit of a small room, two 12" Silver subs should pressurize it pretty nicely. They're obviously not going to have the output of larger in room subs like a bigger 15" or 18" sealed or even a larger 12" ported sub, but in a room that small you'll get some nice room gain down low. I also have a third 12" sub (a cheaper Earthquake S12 that I got for a pittance on Craigslist) that I put in the back of the room to help fill in a bit more.

Definitely get two if you can swing it, tons of advantages to multiple subs. I assume you will place them horizontally below the screen, in that case you should arrange them so the woofers are on the outsides. Spacing them laterally will help smooth out the width modes in the room which cause bass across the seating area. If you can space them so they are fairly close the 1/4 points, i.e. 1/4 and 3/4 room width, which in your case would mean having the woofers 3' from each side wall (6' apart). That arrangement gives the best mode cancelling laterally.

Then you can mask the subs behind black fabric and it will be a very low profile look. My OmniSubs aren't quite that shallow (15" deep) but I concealed them by surrounding them with simple black fabric covered frames, which blend in very nicely with the black grill cloth. With the OnWall version you should be able to hide them completely.

IMG_9474.JPG

Hey BP,

Great to see you here!

I agree, BTW. Two Silver subs should work great in that room.

Jeremy, don't know if you have the room, but for the biggest impact you can position the subs in diagonal corners of the theater.
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, Sony, JVC,
    Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, Panamorph, and Oppo.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186

Thanks for the advice, I'm still debating if I have the need for a ported sub to reach the lower impact bass. I could always add a smaller ported sub in the back, or plan to stuff one in the front corner and blend it into the screen wall with fabric, although the corner may not be the best location. With multiple subs does it matter if the types match ported/sealed?

Dawn, as far as my back corners of the room- one corner is the entry door, the other corner is a small 10"x10" hvac chase so back corners aren't ideal in my room

In a perfect world it's nice to have matching subs, but we've done many installs with different sub types and had great results.

I see what you mean about back corners. :-)
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, Sony, JVC,
    Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, Panamorph, and Oppo.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186