Thread: Room and speaker matching

Room and speaker matching

Our house was pre-wired for a 7.1 in-ceiling system in the living/dining area. It is an open floor plan. We have a 70" tv mounted about 4 feet or so off the floor and the couch is roughly below the middle surrounds. We do about 50% movies and 50% music. Recently, I was able to source a Triad PAMP8 and PAMS8 for our slowly growing Control4 system and currently have an OD25 pair hooked up, so I have 7 zones left. The only audio will be outside or in the living room area, so I'll have use of the 14 extra channels. We have a 13" height to ceiling and living room area is 15' wide with the seating position being 13-13.5' from the front wall and 9' from where the middle surrounds would be. Spacing between left and right low-voltage box pre-wires is 9' but I could space speakers in or out since the holes need to be made.

So the questions are, what series would fit best for this type of space, and would mini monitors/monitors work better than LCRs since at least half of the use would be music? I've seen used Triads from Bronze to Gold go up for sale recently and I don't mind new/unused or slightly used systems or slowly acquiring components. Finally, what AVR is recommended nowadays? Thanks!

Living area.JPG

I'm a big fan of Monitors for clients who want speakers for both music and movies. Silver Monitors would work well in your room, with InCeiling Siilver/6 MiniMonitors for surrounds.
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, ATI, Sony, Datasat,
    JVC, Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, and Panamorph.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186

Thanks for the suggestion! Since this is a mixed room, should I just stick to everything in-ceiling since the house is prewired that way or should I also try to get a pair of in-room monitors with an in-room center? Do you think the Triad amp I have will be good or should I try to source a different amp down the line?

If you don't plan on doing Atmos in that room then you can put the LCRs and surrounds in the ceiling.

The only way to know if your amp is up to the task is to listen to it. Then if you think you can do better with another amp or AVR, buy a new one and try it out.
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, ATI, Sony, Datasat,
    JVC, Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, and Panamorph.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186