Thread: Center channel and sizing

Center channel and sizing

Hello - I have a multipurpose room (see attached) where I will have a 77" Sony A9G above the fireplace. Since the TV is already higher than I would like (due to existing fireplace), I don't want to add a 5-6" Soundbars below the TV.

What would be an appropriate IC LCR be for the center channel? I was looking at the IC Bronze LCR or IC Silver LCR and whatever else makes sense to create a 5.1 or 7.1 environment. Seating position will be about 13-14' from TV. The TV area of the room is about 20'x15'9"x9'.

I haven't had a chance to listen to an IC center, would appreciate any feedback on that.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi and always happy to help.

Your room is actually much larger than 20 feet long -- closer to 40 feet long. Because there is no enclosed dedicated TV or theater area, the size of the entire area comes into play. So, you will need to keep this in mind when designing a speaker system for your space.

Before I can properly answer your center channel question I need to know what speakers you had in mind for the right and left? All three front speakers need to be the same.

Due to your large room size, I'm going to recommend Triad InWall Silver LCRs for the right/left and the InCeiling Silver/8 LCR for the center channel. The only caveat here is that you are going to need to measure your ceiling joists to make sure that the 19" wide InCeiling speaker will fit between them. Also, any of these InCeiling speakers (Bronze or Silver) will need 8" of space above the ceiling.

Triad has (2) versions of the IW Silver LCR. One version is only4" deep and the other is 6" deep. The only difference between the two is the width and height. They sound exactly the same.

Triad will also paint the grills to match your walls and ceiling.
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, ATI, Sony, Datasat,
    JVC, Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, and Panamorph.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186

Dawn - thank for your note.

Thank you for confirming the IC Silver/8 for the C. I was thinking of using the IW Silver/6 for the L and R. I will have built in cabinetry next to the fireplace and I wanted to build the cabinets to fit the IW Silver/6 exactly. Do you think that make sense?

For Surrounds, do you have any suggestions for something IC? I didn’t see anything on the matching guide.

For Sub, is 1 enough? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Stan

Hi Stan,

If you can keep the wood enclosure roughly the same thickness as drywall it should work very well. Take a look at the in-wall/in-ceiling instructions to see how Triad in-walls are installed: http://www.triadspeakersforum.com/Fo...%20install.pdf

Depending on your room, either Silver Surrounds, Silver LCRs or Silver Sats are compatible with Silver LCRs. If you want decent bass in your room, you will definitely need more than one sub.

Please either post here or email me a drawing of your floorplan with seating, and I'll help you select what will work best. Hand-drawn is fine. No art critics here. :-)
    Authorized Dealer: Triad Speakers, Denon, Marantz, ATI, Sony, Datasat,
    JVC, Screen Innovations, Stewart Filmscreen, and Panamorph.

Contact us for assistance, we are happy to help.

Dawn@EgretElectronics.com
    561-745-6186